Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Baby Teeth

Camden has been getting a bunch of new teeth lately. This means that during the day, Cam is his super-perky, cute self and then he transforms into a drooling, grumpy mess as soon as he realizes bedtime is near. Last night when we were playing in his room before bed, he was happily clapping, dancing, chasing our cat, and pulling up on everything. About 15 minutes later, you would have thought I was lowering him into a fiery pit of lava instead of his crib. Usually at bedtime, we put him down in his crib, he sits up and waves as we walk out of the room, and then we hear a plop over the monitor a few seconds later and we know he has zonked out, so this whole crying when I put him in his crib thing is new. I think part of it is a little separation anxiety from being away from his daddy (Patrick is on a snowboarding trip to Jackson Hole this week, and it's the longest he's ever been away from Cam) but I think it's mostly because of those teeth. He literally shakes with joy when he sees the Tylenol bottle. My poor little guy.

Camden is also suddenly into everything. He's been mobile for a long time but has always been happy moving from toy to toy and pulling up on the occasional piece of furniture. Now, all of our furniture is bolted to the wall and his favorite "toys" are any type of electrical cord and any teeny tiny little object that he finds on the floor that he's not supposed to have. After an afternoon of intercepting him speed-crawling toward a variety of cords and pulling little crumbs out of his jaws-of-life grip, I am now an obsessive vacuumer and all of our cords are carefully hidden away. We baby proofed our house a while ago but it's amazing what you overlook. This age is SO much fun but it takes the worrying to a whole new level:)


All of these new developments have brought me closer to coming to grips with the "T" word (toddler). I can't even type it without getting teary-eyed. I have been in total denial and have tried really, really hard to ignore the elephant in the room, but I guess it's time for me to admit that he's not a baby anymore (even though he'll always be my baby). Everybody tells you how fast it goes but I had no idea it would go by this fast. I feel like I'm going to wake up one day and he's going to be a kindergartner. Or even worse, a teenager.

1 comment:

Jenna Schrock said...

I like how his chin is glistening with saliva there! At least we're not seeing tears! And we can't stop all those "t"s no matter how hard we wish for time to stop.