Saturday, January 2, 2010

A New Normal

It's been almost a month since we got our news about Camden and I can't tell you how much this little boy has changed our lives, especially in the past few weeks. I keep saying this has been such a blessing to us, and I know it may be hard for a lot of people to understand why, but it truly has been. Don't get me wrong, we have struggled and shed our fair share of tears, but most of that happened BEFORE we got Cam's diagnosis when we were in that scary place of knowing something was "wrong" but not knowing what it was.

After that first well-child checkup when Camden's measurements were so disproportionate, I found myself holding my breath whenever the nurses would pull out the tape measure. Every single time they would say "that can't be right" and recheck everything, only to get the same measurements. His growth charts always looked so "off" and that's such a nerve-racking thing to see as a mom. We started blaming ourselves, thinking he wasn't eating the way he should, or that we needed to start supplementing with formula, or that he wasn't getting enough of all the vitamins he needed from me. Camden has never really been a fan of the bottle since he's been exclusively breastfed since he was born and I started blaming myself for the fact that he wasn't growing the way he "should." We thought it would get better once he started solids but it never did. Cam's pediatrician has always been wonderful and has been very emphatic that we were doing everything right, but we couldn't help but feel like we were failing our son if he wasn't growing the way he should.

It turns out we were doing everything right, but we just weren't measuring him on the right scale. Once Dr. Spence inputted his measurements on a growth chart for kids with achondroplasia, suddenly Cam's measurements were completely on track. His head circumference was in the 25th percentile and his height and weight were in the 75th. We had been comparing apples to oranges all along. It has been SUCH a relief to know that Camden is okay and that he's been fine this whole time.

Not only has Cam's diagnosis brought us peace about his growth and his health, but it has also brought our family together in a way I never knew was possible. It has made me realize just how supportive and loving both sides of our families are. It is so humbling to know how adored your child is by the people around you. Everyone has handled the news about Camden in their own way but it has ultimately brought us all to the same place--a place where we are just thankful for the healthy, happy little guy we are all crazy about. It has also added a new dimension to my marriage that I will forever be grateful for. It has made me fall in love with Patrick all over again and has really shown me what a wonderful friend I have in him in addition to the amazing husband he's always been. We've met so many new people that have truly become part of our family and have had so much support from everyone around us. I know Camden will have challenges being a little person, but it is incredibly comforting to know that he's got so much support and love around him. Thank you so much for all of the prayers and encouragement. You have no idea how much it means to us.

2 comments:

Bates family said...

Jane, You are an amazing mother!! Camden and Patrick are lucky to have such an amazing person taking care of them! :) Your strength as a wife and a mother is admirable! I'd love to get the boys together sometime! Maybe we could get our families together for dinner.

The Johnson Family 5 said...

Hi Jane! First, Camden is ADORABLE!! I would love to add your blog to my list...would that be ok?